Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Trying to be heard above the din

My heart is burdened and here are my thoughts:

I am in a sea of drowning people. A lot of us have life preservers on, but they don't feel like they are holding us up any. There are 2 or 3 life boats that are full. Everyone is scrambling and fighting over the life boats. We are all, including the ones with life preservers, going under. The people who are safely in the life boats, knowing that we could swamp them, push us away and hurriedly try to row away. They would gladly accept and take on whoever they could if everyone would just quit fighting. But because of all the thrashing about, they reject everyone and look back at us with disdain.

I suddenly see the futility of what I am doing, give up and decide it's not worth the battle. I am just too tired and it's not getting us anywhere. We just can't all fit on the boats. I fully expect to sink and die, but instead I find that when I quit fighting and clamoring for the safety of the boats, my life preserver holds me up effortlessly and I am fine.

Desparately I begin to try to share my revelation with everyone else. A reach a few without life preservers who cling to me for dear life and eventually relax themselves while my life preserver keeps us all afloat. But few people will listen to me. They can't even hear me over their own yelling and screaming.

As some begin to sink, they reach out and grab each other and take each other down with them. The oarsmen in the boats even begin bashing them on the heads to keep them from sinking the craft. All they have to do is relax and trust the life preserver. They still won't all get taken into the boats, but maybe a few of those without the vests would and the people in the boats would stop bashing them in the heads! The vests would also even hold up two or three of those who don't have them. But the people in the water just keep bickering and clawing amongst themselves, both those with and without the safety of the life vests. In fact, the wealthier ones are the ones with the life vests and they seem to be fighting the hardest.

I try and try to shout out to them that all they have to do is trust the life vest. "We aren't gauranteed spots on the life boat!" I shout, "but we do have the life preservers! They will hold you up! You can even save a few more with it!" Very few hear.

Matthew 5 (King James Version)

39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Luke 6 (King James Version)

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

A Public Domain Bible KJV at Zondervan Zondervan