Thursday, June 15, 2006

Glorious Morning

When I was growing up, we went to a "holy roller" church. I grew suspicious of the goings on as I got into my teenage years and was relieved when the church "moved". I never thought much about it afterward, but looking back now, I learned some valuable lessons there. I learned that freedom in worship can be an awesome thing. I learned it can be taken advantage of too. I learned how to study scripture-to tear it apart and really get to the meat of it. In fact much of that meat is still with me today.

One very important thing that took place during that time is that I memorized scripture. I can't tell you how heavily I rely on that now. Often I don't remember the whole verse or exactly what it is, and I rarely remember where it is found, but it is enough to help me find it. I didn't learn this through Bible drills or Sunday School classes. I learned them through song. We sang scripture. I had no idea how valuable those little choruses would be to me later on. I didn't even know I was learning scripture.

I never think about these things and I don't remember all of them. The amazing thing is that when I do recall one, I remember it almost perfectly.

This morning, as I was waking up, you know those moments when you are first waking up and your thoughts are barely cognizant, much less meaningful, and a scripture song that I hadn't thought about in probably 27 years came to my mind. It was vibrant, complete, and melodious and the more awake I became, the more voices seemed to be added to the chior that was singing it. Before I was even completely aware of the time, I was joining in. As it dawned on me that I was singing a song I should have long forgotten, it also dawned on me that the Lord had put that song in my heart and awoken me to what must have been an angel chior singing it.

One look out my window told me that this is truly a day the Lord hath made. And He wanted me to rejoice and be glad in it.

Bare with me and the phonectic spelling (no disrespect is intended whatsoever) as I break into song again...

Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me
Thou has put of my sack claaawth
Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me
And girded me with glaaaadness
To the end that my glory may sing praise unto Thee
And not be siiiilent
Ooooh Lord, my Gaaaahhhhd, I will give thanks unto Thee for eeeeeehver.

Psalms 30:11-12

Have a Glorious Day!!!!!